Friday, December 30, 2005

New Ron Moore Interview

BattlestarGalactica.com recently had the opportunity to interview Ron Moore, creator and executive producer of Battlestar Galactica. He touched on the show's past and its future, as well as addressing Helo and the Caprica storyine at several points.

BG: You've stated that the Caprica storyline was one of the main vehicles to explore the Cylon plan. Yet the storyline itself was almost an afterthought, something intended to bring back the Helo character. Listening to the podcasts and the interviews, there's an impression that the Cylon plan (like the Caprica storyline) was being written almost on the fly. Is there a plan to writing the plan?

RM: I start with basic directions and overall guideposts of where I want to be by a given point in the story and then work my way there. I had a general shape of the entire first season in mind when we started breaking the first six episodes, but I was willing to change the plan along the way and tried to always keep the door open for a better idea that might come along. On the other hand, the Helo storyline is a great example of what can happen if you're just willing to take a flier and see what happens. No, I didn't know where that story was going, but the process of finding out was fun and I loved where we ended up.

BG: We're now approaching the second anniversary of the airing of the miniseries. Do you think you've succeeded in what you set out to achieve with Battlestar Galactica?

RM: To be honest, we've achieved more than I could have hoped for two years ago. I always believed in what we were doing, always believed it was going to work, but if you'd told me in 2003 that in 2005 Time would name the show the number one television show on the air, I wouldn't have believed a word of it.
Read the full interview here.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of Helo's successful storyline I noticed recently that on imdb.com Tahmoh is now listed in "Credited Cast" where before he was listed in "Regular Guests". Kandyse McClure (Dee) joins him there now too. I know imdb.com isn't always reliable but I wonder if there is something that prompted the upgrade?

    ReplyDelete